BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 12, 2011

"I had rather be [in] my [home] than be emperor of the world." ~ George Washington

So I have decided that my blog is a good outlet for keeping people updated on our life here in Alice. So if you want to know how everything is going then feel free to check up here. Hopefully I'll try and update it once a month or once every couple of months at least, but whatever time allows will have to do. :)

So where to start...I guess at the beginning!

The move to Alice Springs went quite well. Because we were moved here with K-Mart, we were lucky enough to have a moving company come in and pack us up. That was quite an experience! What would usually take me about a month to do, the removalists did in 1 day, and then the next day they came and packed it all up in a container ready for the move. Our cars were also moved up on the back of a semi-trailer.

We arrived in Alice Springs on the 4th August and stayed temporarily at the Quest apartments. The accomodation was lovely and all self contained, but a little cramped with 2 active little ones. We managed to make do with a set of blocks we bought at K-Mart, the local park and a small collection of DVD's. Luckily we managed to find a house quite quickly so our stay was as short as it could be (about 2 weeks all up.)

We have found a house in the Desert Springs area. Desert Springs is the area that surrounds the golf course and is by far, the nicest area in Alice (and I'm not just saying that because I live here!). Before we moved here, we were told by a few people who had lived here before, what area's to avoid and what area's to look in. We applied for 3 houses but this was our first choice and so we are obviously really happy with this. :)

Of course, the move wasn't without its hitches. We are up here not even a week, when K-Mart tell Daniel that he has to return to Adelaide for some training and that he has to leave on the Tuesday and won't be back until the Sunday. How nice of them! Of course our moving day was set for the Wednesday, which left me and the girls spending the first few nights alone in the house and doing unpacking ourselves! It was all ok though, the girls had a great time getting to know the house and I was able to get heaps done and we had a good time.

As for the rest of our time here, things have been going really well. Daniel has settled into his job and is busy putting in place changes that K-Mart are making. It is meaning long, hard hours for him, but he is doing really well and they are really happy with his work. I have settled into home life in Alice really well and have been able to get into a nice routine with the girls. I have also been to the local branch of church most weeks and have settled in well there also. Everyone in the branch is really lovely and I have been able to attend mothers group with some of the girls there and had a good time getting to know them. I don't have a calling yet, but I'm sure that will come in good time. Also you can't hide from your talents as it's already known that I have musical ability. Can't escape these things!!

The girls are both doing well. I am so proud of how they have adapted so well into life here. As most of you know through facebook, they are growing and changing so quickly. Izzy is fully toilet trained now, which has been such a blessing. Thanks to the advice of wonderful friends and family, she is fully out of nappies and has been dry 3 out of the last 4 nights (I take her to the bathroom at 10pm and put her straight back to bed!). She has also given up the dummy completely which has also been completely wonderful. Her vocabulary is picking up so much and she is so great at communicating. Plus she is wonderfully affectionate, always giving kisses and telling us she loves us. Keira is also growing up so fast, she's still unsteady on her feet but is walking a little more each day. She also loves to make herself heard. Her vocabulary consists mostly of 'mama' and 'dada' but she also says 'piggy' (as in her toes). She is also very vocal in letting me know if she wants something. Gone are the days when I could give something to Izzy but not to Keira!

We have spent a bit of time, exploring the local area also. If your on facebook you would have seen photo's that I'd put up. It is sooo beautiful here. The red rock and sand is amazing. We are surrounded by nature wherever we go. We've seen a few lizards and even one dingo! Not snakes or kangaroos yet, but I'm sure we will cross their path at some point.

I do miss everyone in Adelaide. I miss my long talks and hanging out all the time with Kathryn and I miss seeing the one who is most like me and who inspires me all the time Tracey, and I miss the one who probably understands me most, my brother Adam. Plus I miss my nieces and nephews and seeing mum & dad (cox) every week for dinner and talking with them and seeing them with the girls, and I miss the wonderful and beautiful Kate (and Izzy misses Asha) and I miss mothers group with Karen-Ann (and everyone else!). Plus all my friends who I haven't mentioned, cause I'd be here forever! LOL (Oh also I miss my parent's, but they left before me :P). However, technology is a truly amazing thing and with facebook and skype, no one seems as far away.

In conclusion though, basically life here is very wonderful so far. The move was an experience, but now that we have done it I am so glad we are here. This is truly an incredible part of Australia and I look forward to exploring it more during the time we are here. Our home is lovely and even just in the short month and a half that we have been here, this experience has bought us much closer as a family and Daniel and I much closer as husband and wife. I truly wouldn't want to do this with any other people than the 3 I'm here with!

I'll speak to you all in a month or so with more updates! Everyone stay happy and healthy!! xxoo

2 comments:

Lotti said...

Really nice post Chantelle. Awesome to hear that everything is going so well for you. It sounds beautiful up there, really lovely. Your girls are so beautiful and I love the photos you've posted on facebook.

Storm'n Norm'n said...

Nice story about your move...sorry it took me so long to get to it.

I too had a company move to Alabama and the company was good to me while I looked for a home; they paid my hotel expenses while I looked.